Date:      Sat, 06 Aug 2005 14:36:05 -0500
From:      Mark Kane <mark@mkproductions.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   After Partitioning a Drive: WARNING - WRITE_DMA UDMA ICRC error (retrying request)

Hi everyone. I have searched the lists and Google about this, but none
of the things I find seem to be my exact problem.

I have an 80GB Maxtor IDE hard drive that was in NTFS yesterday. Last
night, I copied all 75GB of data off that drive to another drive in the
system. It took a while, but didn't give any errors.

Today, I go to use sysinstall to fdisk and disklabel the drive to make
it UFS for use with FreeBSD. That goes OK and it's now mounted fine. I
go to copy the data back from the backups I made last night, and
immediately I get tons of warnings like this:

ad1: WARNING - WRITE_DMA UDMA ICRC error (retrying request) LBA=3205439
ad1: WARNING - WRITE_DMA UDMA ICRC error (retrying request) LBA=3206591
ad1: WARNING - WRITE_DMA UDMA ICRC error (retrying request) LBA=3208767
ad1: WARNING - WRITE_DMA UDMA ICRC error (retrying request) LBA=3210047
ad1: WARNING - WRITE_DMA UDMA ICRC error (retrying request) LBA=3214655
ad1: WARNING - WRITE_DMA UDMA ICRC error (retrying request) LBA=3215167
ad1: WARNING - WRITE_DMA UDMA ICRC error (retrying request) LBA=4163583
ad1: WARNING - WRITE_DMA UDMA ICRC error (retrying request) LBA=4164479

Most of the things I see from searching online point to faulty IDE
cables, but I swapped the cables a month or so ago. Also, the drive that
I copied all this data to last night (a 160GB Maxtor) is on the same IDE
cable as this one with no errors.

I have 3 more drives to backup and "convert" from NTFS to UFS after
this, so if anyone has any ideas to help me get on my way, that would be
excellent.

ad1: 76344MB <MAXTOR 6L080J4/A93.0500> [155112/16/63] at ata0-slave UDMA133

Thanks very much in advance!

-Mark