Date:      Sun, 7 Feb 2010 03:21:45 -0800 (PST)
From:      Bill Tillman <btillman99@yahoo.com>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wireless Access Point

Thanks to everyone for the great advice. For clarity on this I erased all t=
he other previous messages.
=A0
The bottome line is I got it to work. It was a problem with my NATD setup o=
n the server inside the LAN which is running as AP for the wireless compute=
rs in my house. It's all working grea. And like some of you pointed out I w=
as natd_interface-ing to the wrong interface. That's all fixed now but ther=
e are a few bigs which I don't know can be worked out.
=A0
The extisting wireless D-Link router has been trouble free since I installe=
d it and we routinely acheive download speeds on the wireless machines in e=
xcess of 100KB/s. It's also very fast to assign IP's and it just seems to w=
ork every time. So why replace it you ask...because I'm a stupid hack who j=
ust can't stop experimenting with FreeBSD servers. And I do want to use thi=
s new AP server to replace my old file server which is running DHCP for the=
 10.0.0.0/24 segment and is running Samba and aloowing wireless people who =
visit my house to store and share files. The whole thing works great as it =
is but the old FreeBSD server is old and needs to go and the D-Link router =
is well just needs to go.
=A0
Now the problem is that the new AP server while the CPU us very fast and I =
have two massive 2 TB drives in it, is not up to snuff on the wireless AP. =
It can take forever to get an IP address and most of the time I only end up=
 with limited connection. The worst thig though is that even when I do make=
 s soild connection with this AP the download speed is horrendously slow. L=
ast night I began downloading the ISO-DVD1 image of the 8.0 source from fre=
ebsd.org and the max speed I got was only 39KB/s which means the download w=
ould have taken almost 10 hours. On the other hand I resetup with the D-Lin=
k router and the download was only going to take 90 minutes for the same fi=
le.
=A0
Guess I'm not out of the woods on this one yet. But again thanks to all who=
 replied and offered the helpful advice.=0A=0A=0A