Date:      Fri, 17 May 2002 15:09:49 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        stan <stanb@awod.com>
Cc:        Free BSD Questions list <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: NFS version 2?

In the last episode (May 17), stan said:
> I'm trying to get a Debian Linux machine to use a FreeBSD STABLE
> machine as a NFS data source. I've got this workign fine on an older
> Linux box, but my newere ones are having trouble automounting the
> FreeBSD machines.
>
> Manual mounting works fine.
>
> I turned on all the noise for amd on the Linux side, and it appears
> that the problem lies in the version neogtoan. That is the Linix side
> apeasr to now nbe smart enough to know that there is a NFS version 3.
> So itappears thet the FreeBSD side offers to provide V3, and then
> things go south.

Hm.  I've had this problem with Unixes trying to mount Linux NFS
servers, where Linux will claim to support NFSv3 but then refuse the
mount.  I haven't had any problems with our Debian box accessing
FreeBSD servers.  The easiest way is actually to force the client to
only use NFSv2 in the amd map file.  Add "vers=2" to your options; it
might end up looking like "opts:=rw,vers=2,soft,intr".

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com