Date:      Fri, 27 Aug 1999 16:08:17 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
Cc:        Kenny Drobnack <kdrobnac@mission.mvnc.edu>, Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel Merced FreeBSD???

Mitch Collinsworth wrote:

> >> I recall a conversation not long ago with a sysadmin in the business
> >> school here.  I was asking what their typical laptop configuration was
> >> and was told that some members of their faculty were quite particular
> >> about finding out what their colleagues machines had and then making
> >> sure theirs was more/better/faster, etc.  I highly doubt this kind of
> >> purchasing only happens here.  :-)
> >
> >       Good point.  I know it happens, but is it the majority of the
> >market?
>
> Who knows?  But what's so important about being a majority?

Intel is not aiming Merced at the majority of the market initially, any
more than they are aiming the current generation Xeon processors at the
masses now.  They do, however, plan to have it become the dominant 64-bit
architecture for desktop and server computers.

Let 'em have them.  I'm personally interested in dominating the market
for keeltop computers and bilge severs.  ;^)

http://softweyr.com/                                           wes@softweyr.com