Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 2002 22:51:49 +0200
From:      Jeremy Lea <reg@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Value of chocolate wrappers...

Hi,

My VAIO decided a few days ago that it was tired of seeing mains power,
and would rather use my battery...  All the signs pointed to a loose
connection somewhere in the power line (intermittent fault, works if you
jiggle things, etc.).  While I've got a nice big battery, you really
need to see power once in a while, so I rushed the machine off to Sony
to have a look.

They phoned me a day later, with a quote for just under $1000 to replace
the mainboard.  The machine (a 505TR) only cost $1400, and second hand
ones sell for ~$600 on eBay...  So I fetched the machine back, but was
feeling rather down, because I don't want to have to buy a new laptop at
the moment.

Still thinking it was a loose connection, and having $1000 to gain, I
stuffed a bit of foil from a choclate wrapper into the central hole on
the power plug...  So far so good :-)  Tomorrow I will seek a more
long term solution.

As one of the girls I work with is fond of saying:  "If chocolate is the
answer the problem is irrelevant!"

Regards,
  -Jeremy

--
FreeBSD - Because the best things in life are free...
                                           http://www.freebsd.org/