Date:      Wed, 22 Dec 2004 19:43:44 -0600
From:      Kristian Kielhofner <kris@krisk.org>
To:        RL <rlurman@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Switching FreeBSD machines

RL wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 19:31:53 -0600, Kristian Kielhofner <kris@krisk.org> wrote:
>
>>RL wrote:
>>
>>>Hi. I have FBSD 5.3 on one machine. I'm thinking of buying a Dell
>>>420SC Server and would want to use FreeBSD on that. I went through a
>>>hard time getting things to work on my current machine such as Java
>>>and maybe a few other things, so I really would rather not start from
>>>scratch. And I don't want to swap hard-drives because the Dell comes
>>>with a nice Serial ATA drive I want to use. My only option might be to
>>>clone the old FBSD box using g4Unix and putting it on the Dell. Would
>>>kind of problems and headaches would I have with that?
>>>
>>>Edit: Current machine is an Athlon and Dell server is a P4.
>>
>>I hope you saw that the SC420 is going for under $250 right now!
>>Anyways, you could always try to manually partition the new drive (in
>>the 420) install the bootloader, and then rsync everything over.  I have
>>done that many times with FreeBSD and Linux, and as long as you have a
>>kernel that supports the HD controllers on both, you should be fine.  A
>>FreeBSD live cd should help, but you don't necessarily need it.
>>
>>--
>>Kristian Kielhofner
>>

> Yeah that is about what I got it for (actually over $300.)  Now would
> ghosting it (with g4u) work?  I'm thinking I might have a lot of
> issues because stuff was compiled for an Athlon and I'm moving to a
> P4.

Hmm... What did you get in it?  Anyways, you could use g4u, but I really
think that the rsync method will be faster and more reliable anyways.
If your binaries have been compiled for Athlon then you could have some
problems on a P4.  That is why I compile everything for 686 - I know
that it is going to work no matter what recent processor I put it on,
and I am not much of a believer in "optimizing".

	You could rebuild the system and them portupgrade -aRr (after you
modify /etc/make.conf, of course).

--
Kristian Kielhofner