Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 2017 13:32:23 -0800
From:      Craig Leres <leres@ee.lbl.gov>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   poudriere 3.2.0 vs. "local" ports

I have a number of "local" ports I use for various purposes. For example
one use is to build packages locally written software. Another is to
keep a private copy of ports I maintain under source control.
Historically I've put these in /usr/ports/lbl, e.g. lbl/lbl-acld which
might start out with:

     PORTNAME=       acld
     PORTVERSION=    2.1
     CATEGORIES=     lbl
     [...]
     VALID_CATEGORIES+= lbl

This has worked well for years.

The other common case is a port that I maintain such as security/bro. I
keep my local dev version in /usr/ports/lbl/lbl-bro. This allows a
private log history and testing without modifying normal
/usr/ports/security/bro version until I'm ready to file a PR or commit
changes.

poudriere 3.2.0 breaks this practice:

     [00:00:01] Warning: (lbl/lbl-bro): [00:00:01] Error: lbl/lbl-bro
has incorrect CATEGORIES, first should be 'lbl'.  Please contact
maintainer of the port to fix this.

I assume it's picking up "lbl" from the directory path.

I don't want to/can't put "lbl" in the individual Makefile CATEGORIES.
Otherwise I can't do things like:

     diff --exclude=.svn /usr/ports/lbl/lbl-bro /usr/ports/security/bro

and I definitely can't just copy Makefiles from lbl/lbl-bro to security/bro.

I tried to find a way to insert lbl at the front of CATEGORIES in
../Makefile.inc:

     .if "$(CATEGORIES:Mlbl)" == ""
      CATEGORIES=    lbl $(CATEGORIES)
     .endif

but I'm not sure it's possible; make appears to considers it recursive
even when it's protected by a conditional.

Is there a solution to or a better way of doing this?

		Craig