Date:      Fri, 29 Aug 2008 21:03:32 +0200
From:      Zbigniew Szalbot <z.szalbot@lcwords.com>
Cc:        FBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: finding which apps use a given port

Hello,

Robert Huff pisze:
>>  For a long time there has been a problem with posix-something port (as
>>  reported by portaudit) and I do not see an update to this particular
>>  port. How would I go about checking which ports/applications use this
>>  particular posix port? I am tempted to remove it but need to check why
>>  it is there in first place...
>
> 	pkg_info -R <port_name>
> 	This assumes you have it installed.  If not, you can try
> grepping the ports tree ... which can get messy if many ports depend
> on it.
Ah - I should have read pkg_info man. I often use it with -Ix switch but
failed to see that it can also check dependencies.

Now I know it is required by php5-extensions-1.1. Do you think I should
be relatively safe by commenting it out in the extensions file,
restarting apache and seeing what is going on?

I still do not know which application really needs posix. But many
thanks Robert!

Zbigniew Szalbot