Date:      Sat, 14 Feb 2009 05:05:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      Gabe <nrml@att.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Preferred RAID controllers

--- On Mon, 2/9/09, Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk> wrote:

> From: Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
> Subject: Re: FreeBSD Preferred RAID controllers
> To: nrml@att.net
> Cc: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> Date: Monday, February 9, 2009, 3:08 PM
> Gabe wrote:
>
> > Now with a gstripe+gmirror setup, would it be possible
> to fail a
> > specific drive on purpose? I mean fail a (good) drive,
> pull it out,
> > replace it and rebuild(?) it. I know I know, but humor
> me.
>
> Yes.
>
> 	Cheers,
>
> 	Matthew
>
> Well, to 'fail' the drive, you'ld have to
> physically pull the drive
> from the chassis which will involve a power cycle unless
> you've got
> hot-swap drives.  Of course, you should confirm that your
> system will
> boot with the RAID in a degraded state and that rebuilding
> the RAID will
> continue even if interrupted by a reboot.  gmirror(8)
> passes those
> tests.  You do have to type some commands to get a mirror
> to rebuild
> (examples are shown in the man page) unlike some hardware
> RAIDs where
> simply inserting an unused disk is sufficient.
>
> -- Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                   7
> Priory Courtyard
>                                                  Flat 3
> PGP: http://www.infracaninophile.co.uk/pgpkey     Ramsgate
>                                                  Kent, CT11
> 9PW

Hello again all,

So I wanted to test out gmirror on software RAID so I installed a completely vanilla FBSD 7, as base an install as you can get, it hasn't even been on the network. Anyway, I did the following upon first boot to get gmirror going:

# sysctl kern.geom.debugflags=17

Then:
# gmirror label -vb round-robin gm0 /dev/ad0

Then:
# gmirror load

Then:
# echo 'geom_mirror_load="YES"' >> /boot/loader.conf

Then I edited /etc/fstab to show:
/dev/mirror/gm0s1b    none        swap    sw              0       0
/dev/mirror/gm0s1a    /           ufs     rw              1       1
/dev/mirror/gm0s1e    /tmp        ufs rw      0   0
/dev/mirror/gm0s1f    /usr        ufs rw      2   2
/dev/mirror/gm0s1d    /var        ufs     rw              2       2

I then rebooted the system, once I setup the mirror:

# gmirror insert gm0 /dev/ad1
# gmirror status

and it shows as COMPLETE. Okay, here comes the annoying part, I've got hot-swappable bays and I went ahead and pulled the drive. I then tried to write to the disk so that it realizes the disk is no longer there:

# touch file

once I do that and execute: gmirror status it shows as degraded. All fine and dandy. However when it comes time to pop the drive back in the drive is not recognized at all. I mean, the green light on the bay comes on so it definitely makes a connection but then thats it, atacontrol list doesn't list it and gmirror status still shows the same, degraded.

What gives? I wonder if this is hardware related? Bios related even? Any clues?

Thanks!