Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 15:35:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@world.std.com>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tracking -docs like -stable

>Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 16:56:17 +0000
>From: Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
>To: Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@world.std.com>
>Cc: freebsd-doc@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
>Subject: Re: Tracking -docs like -stable
>
>Kenneth,
>On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 08:04:04PM -0500, Kenneth W Cochran wrote:
>> Hello -stable & -docs:
>>
>> I'm trying to "track" documentation similarly to -stable.
>> I can cvsup the "docs-supfile" Just Fine, but what needs to
>> be done afterward?
>
>Chapter 7 of the FDP Primer, at
>
>    http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/docproj-primer/
>
>should help.

Well, it does help some, but some of the text confuses me;
example:  Section 7.3 - "Make includes" - is "includes" a
make-target or some kind of description?  (I think it is a
description/title, but it could be a target & I find the
context somewhat confusing, sorry...)

>> After cvsup of doc-all, in what directory should I be when
>> making/building?
>
>Depends.  If you've pulled down the whole repository ...

Nope, no repository at this time...

>Alternatively, if you've just pulled down the most current files then
>you will have told CVSup where to put them, probably somewhere like
>/usr/doc.

Ah, this one...

>If you want to build all the documentation, start at the root directory
>of the checked out docs (e.g., /usr/doc/, or $HOME/doc-cvs/doc if you
>follow the example above), and run make(1).
>
>If you want to build all the documentation for a specific language and
>encoding, then cd(1) down a level, eg
>
>    % cd en_US.ISO_8859-1
>
>If you want to build all the articles, or books, for a specific language
>then cd(1) down one more level
>
>    % cd books
>
>or
>
>    % cd articles
>
>If you want to build a specific document, such as the FAQ, cd(1) down in
>to it's directory
>
>    % cd faq
>
>before running make(1).
>
>> What are the relevant make-targets for documentation
>
>Typically, you will do something like this
>
>    % make FORMATS=<format> <target>
>
>where <format> is one or more of
>    html html-split txt ps pdf pdb rtf

Is there a manifest constant for /etc/make.conf for these?
I found one for languages & am using it...

><target> should be one of

{-blank-,all,clean,install,package,lint,validate}

>> & where can I find them?
>
>Chapter 7 of the primer (in theory).  I've just had a look at that, and
>it's as enlightening as it could be.  I would be very grateful for
>submissions that cleaned it up.

Your message to me with these descriptions explains it
*much* better (to me) than the primer.  Sorry, the Primer
seems much too lengthy for *this* usage.  As I mentioned
previously, the Primer appears oriented to Authors, not
sysadmins (ie. someone who only wants to Keep A System
Up-To-Date (for the time being, until he learns how to
author documents...  :)).

>If you just want to quickly check that a particular format builds you
>can give the target filename.  For example,
>
>    % cd doc/en_US.ISO_8859-1/books/faq
>    % make book.html
>
>will generate the FAQ as one large HTML document.  You could also do
>
>    % make index.html			# Lots of little HTML files
>    % make book.ps			# Postscript
>    % make book.pdf			# PDF
>
>> How do I properly omit building the .pdf and .ps versions?
>
>Make sure that the FORMATS variable doesn't contain "pdf" or "ps".  By
>default, it doesn't.
>
>> I can't find anything in The Books (Lehey v3 & the
>> Handbook) & the docproj Web-site seems targeted toward
>> documentation "authors" & not toward documentation "trackers."
>>
>> The textproc/docproj port is installed.
>
>Incidentally, you will probably need to update this, as I committed some
>changes to it last night, to pull in eps2png and the netpbm utilities,
>which are required now that we support graphics in the documentation.

Aaaaah...  Oooops... :)

>Hope that helps,

Ah, very much so!  Thanks!  I think something like this
description/explanation would be a worthy addition to
something like src/UPDATING.  Hmmm, maybe "doc/UPDATING?"
And with references to the respective "UPDATING" documentation
in the "other" places?  (For example, src/UPDATING containing a
reference to doc/UPDATING & vice-versa.)

-kc