Date:      Sun, 1 Nov 1998 07:02:10 -0600 (CST)
From:      User RKW <rkw@nomad.dataplex.net>
To:        Joe Abley <jabley@clear.co.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel compile problem

>From the point of view of the users, a locking mechanism along these lines
would be fine. However, there are SERIOUS complications relating to the
archiving and distribution of the source tree. If the locks are maintained
as files in the tree, they would further bloat the already unwieldly tree.

I do like the idea of having bsd.subdir.mk recognize parts of the tree to
avoid. However, the locks, as described, are likely to get in the way of
the developer who is testing his changes in order to decide if he can
release the lock.

On Sun, 1 Nov 1998, Joe Abley wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 01, 1998 at 07:44:52AM +0100, Leif Neland wrote:
> >
> > Is the problem that committing isn't 'atomical'?
Generally, yes.
Worse, a commiter sometimes makes faulty updates which, although he
thinks that they are complete, are missing something. This may well
be the result of differences in his environment and that of someone
who is extracting from the master tree.

> How about a directory called "lock" in whatever part of the source tree
> is appropriate,
".locks" might be more appropriate.

> into which committers deposit a file named with their e-mail
> address, containing a description of why the source tree is locked?
>
> bsd.subdir.mk could check for files within this subdirectory and fail
> quoting the contents of any files that are present.
>
> The same branch of the tree could be locked by more than one committer
> (since their respective lock files would have different names).
>
> Having lock directories at appropriate depths in the source tree would
> be better than one "don't make world" lock file -- that way if I want
> to rebuild and reinstall /usr/src/usr.bin/ I won't be affected by a
> transient commit lock in /usr/src/usr.sbin/ (for example).
>
> If no "lock" subdirectory is present, this should be interpreted as
> "there are no locks for this branch".
>
> Just an idea :) Whaddayathink?

Terry (and I) would argue that the committer should not be allowed to
remove the lock himself. That privledge/duty would belong to the QA
dept whose daemon would make at least some rudimentary checks before
pulling the lock.

Another approach would be to place the cvsup distribution behind a
transaction processor which would serially commit atomic changes.