Date:      Sun, 22 Apr 2001 14:33:43 -0400
From:      "~/.signature" <hawk@fac13.ds.psu.edu>
To:        Vincent Poy <vince@oahu.WURLDLINK.NET>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: the AMD factor in FreeBSD

vincent vocalized,

> 	That's all that matters since I can't tell the difference for
> normal day to day operations with Windows between a PII400 and a PIII933.
> I guess I'm not a gamer.

It's not just gaming.  Heavy computational work is my normal
daily routine.  With about $5k in funding standing by, we're holding
off for the dual athlon boards with ddr.

We also just specced out a server/computational platform, and found
we could match $20k of RS/6000 with about $12k of Dell PIII with
2G of Crucial memory and 3d party *big* drives--We'd have had about
72 or 144G of storage from ibm/sun, probably just ultrascsi, but
we'll have 300G of Raid 5 u160 with a ready standby drive and a 15krpm
swap drive . . . and about $7,000 left over . . which means that
rather than going $5k over budget, we're enough under budget for
an extra blade 100 or bsd box . . .   It's just a pity that the money
rules for this machine require it to be received before June 30 (after
going through University bid/purchase processes), otherwise it
could wait for dual 1.5Ghz palominos, too . . .

hawk, who can always use more processing power . . .

----
Prof. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.                     /"\   ASCII ribbon campaign
dochawk@psu.edu  Smeal 178  (814) 375-4700         \ /   against HTML mail
These opinions will not be those of                 X    and postings
Penn State until it pays my retainer.              / \