Date:      Fri, 29 Jan 1999 17:07:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: btokup().. patch to STYLE(9) (fwd)

On Sat, 30 Jan 1999, Greg Lehey wrote:
> of intelligibility.  Consider one possible expansion
>

>		if (((allocationfail | (IGNOREFAILUREMASK & (incount %
BLKSIZE))) ^ failures) != 0)

or
		if (((allocationfail |
		    (IGNOREFAILUREMASK & (incount % BLKSIZE))) ^
			failures) != 0)

> (yes, this still doesn't make sense, but I can't be bothered to look
> for something more appropriate) This is now 99 characters wide, and
> it's the kind of code which doesn't gain in legibility by being broken
> into multiple lines,

I'll say.. I tried several different splits.. the above is as  good
as I can get it or me..

> especially if the indentation of the follow-on
> lines is independent of the structure of the expression.  bde has made
> it clear he considers code more than 80 characters wide to be Evil.
> Question: how many people still limit their editor windows to 80
> characters?
I do

These cases are rather rare for me, but sometimes I have to split like
shwon. Sometimes I'll use a temp variable and sometimes I'll look to see
if a macro can be used if parts of the test are done more than once.

The trouble with > 80 chars is that the console is 80 chars wide.. :-)

julian