Date:      Wed, 3 Jul 2002 11:27:04 +0200
From:      Nils Vogels <nivo+freebsd-questions@yuckfou.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ppp connection hangs

On Wed, Jul 03, 2002 at 01:44:00AM -0600, ertank@softhome.net wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My machine started to hang under heavy loads after I upgraded it from
> 4.6-RC to 4.6-STABLE.
>
> [ozlerplastik] /home/ertank# uname -a
> FreeBSD ozlerplastik.com 4.6-STABLE FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE #0: Tue Jul  2
> 21:07:21 EEST 2002
> root@ozlerplastik.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/MYKERNEL  i386
> [ozlerplastik] /home/ertank#
>
> System is buildworld as of 01 July stable code.
>
> I have "disable lqr" command in my default section of ppp.conf file.
>
> I see that remote end is not responding. (I added some firewall rules to
> be sure because my modem is an internal modem.)
>
> There was no problem with either 4.5-STABLE or 4.6-RC.
>
> I know this is an odd problem to solve. But, I'm tired of killing and
> restarting the ppp program during the day. Normally my connection is up
> 7/24. The document
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/ppp.html suggests
> to send as much information as I can to the mailing list in the end.

I see in your logfiles:

Jul  3 09:13:46 ozlerplastik ppp[14071]: tun0: Phase: deflink: HDLC errors ->
+FCS: 3, ADDR: 0, COMD: 0, PROTO: 0
Jul  3 09:57:43 ozlerplastik ppp[14071]: tun0: Phase: deflink: Carrier lost
Jul  3 09:57:43 ozlerplastik ppp[14071]: tun0: CCP: deflink: State change
+Stopped --> Closed
Jul  3 09:57:43 ozlerplastik ppp[14071]: tun0: CCP: deflink: State change
Closed
+--> Initial
Jul  3 09:57:43 ozlerplastik ppp[14071]: tun0: LCP: deflink: LayerDown

This is the reason why your pppd drops, it sees FCS errors (Frame Count
Sequence) on the HDLC part of the connection. This means that frames sent into
your connection are not arriving at the same order you (or the remote end)
sent them in. You may want to investigate why this happens, and if this
problem is known with your ISP. Otherwise, I haven't seen it before, so I
don't have a 'one-size-fits-all' solution for you :/

HTH&HAND,

--
Nils Vogels		PGP:0xC26BD15F Available on keyservers.
S@H:4961WU/6.728yr	--> setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu. Will you find aliens?

My other computer is your windows box.