Date:      Sat, 25 Sep 1999 15:17:03 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        David Schwartz <davids@webmaster.com>, alk@pobox.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: On hub.freebsd.org refusing to talk to dialups

On Fri, Sep 24, 1999 at 11:19:09PM +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
> This doesn't work when you attempt to define an "everybody but X"
> group.  It doesn't matter if "X" is "whites" or "blacks" or
> "people with Brazialian ancestry" or "people who don't have
> static IP addresses, either because they are unavailable in
> their region, or because they are too poor".

Just as a side point -- don't assume that you can't be a dial up customer
and not have a static IP address.  Demon Internet, one of the biggest ISPs
in the UK allocate static IP addresses to their customers, and have done
since they started.

It's very useful when your line drops while in the middle of downloading
large files.  Just redial and continue.  You can't do this with dynamic
IP addresses.

Denying me the ability to send e-mail directly, and forcing me to use my
ISP's mail relay is a very bad thing.  For one thing it puts me in control
of when delivery is attempted, and reattempted.  For another it means that
I'm not reliant on my ISP for anything except IP connectivity.  Which,
quite frankly, is all I want from an ISP.

 [intentional self-reference] can be easily accommodated using a blessed,
 non-self-referential dummy head-node whose own object destructor severs
 the links.
    -- Tom Christiansen in <375143b5@cs.colorado.edu>