Date:      Tue, 21 Feb 1995 09:35:20 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        Mark Hittinger <bugs@warlock.win.net>
Cc:        hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: A "FreeBSD" Daemon

> Let me suggest something along the same lines.  Ditch the daemon thing.

Hmmmm.  I'm glad I don't have your mailbox for the next couple of days! ;-)

Seriously, while I certainly understand the sentiment I don't think
that this is going to fly.  The BSD Daemon is just too enshrined in
the culture, and besides I don't think using it as a corporate symbol
has done BSDI any damage!  Quite the opposite, in fact.  Linus
Torvalds even expressed some small envy at the fact that we had a cute
mascot like this and Linux still couldn't decide on a species, much
less a specific icon.

If anything, we need to change our daemon significantly enough that
we're not perceived as mini-BSDIs (though I suppose we could be
perceived as worse things!).  Perhaps we could take the opportunity to
make him even less threatening to the bible-belters at the same time,
maybe putting little corks on the ends of his trident (get the child
safety vote), pants on the daemon (moral majority), shrink his horns
down and give him a bushy squirrel-like tail (animal rights and
cute-and-furry vote).  Then, just to be safe, we'll place a handgun on
the ground someplace within his reach, just to get the NRA vote while
we're at it.

Oh yeah, also got to give him sneakers with some brand-name on them so
we can get a fat endorsement contract! :-)

Yes, yes, I know your heart was in the right place with this suggestion,
I just felt like having a little fun at your expense.. :-) :-)

					Jordan