Date:      Tue, 3 Nov 1998 23:49:33 +0200
From:      Jeremy Lea <reg@shale.csir.co.za>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: On advocating FreeBSD and the Halloween memo...

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 03, 1998 at 08:21:56AM -0800, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> First off, just to cover the Halloween memo in brief, yes it appears
> to be genuinely from Microsoft and yes, it appears to be genuinely
> full of statements culled from various Linux evangelists who feel no
> pangs at making blatantly false pronouncements like "Linux is the only
> OS experiencing growth" or "Linux is the only contender for the x86
> platform."  These types of statements are pure hooey, of course, and
> FreeBSD is currently doing better than it has at any previous point in
> its history.

Something that really concerns me is the Linux advocates myth,
perpetuated by this memo, that FreeBSD is a closed development project.
We all know this is untrue, and that in fact, we have a more open model
than the Linux kernel, since we can (and frequently do ;) have conflicts
about the correctness of checkins.

This stems from the mantle of cathedral style development forced upon
us by ESR and is something that needs active fighting IMHO.  An
observation:

How come the cathedral has no god, but the bazaar seems to have a shrine
at every corner?

Bow to the penguin,
 -Jeremy

--
  |   "In this world of temptation, I will stand for what is right.
--+--  With a heart of salvation, I will hold up the light.