Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 2019 10:06:02 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bz@freebsd.org>, Mark Johnston <markj@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Release Engineering Team <re@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: release notes file

On June 24, 2019 9:29:48 AM PDT, "Rodney W=2E Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh=
=2Ednsmgr=2Enet> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 9:44 AM Cy Schubert
><Cy=2ESchubert@cschubert=2Ecom>
>> wrote:
>>=20

>note=2E
>notes for
>branch
>of

>ports

>lines
>man
>everyone

>put

>are
>notes

>could
>belong

>notes
>of
>goes in
>for
>work for
>RELNOTES in

>doc
>compile
>http://www=2EFreeBSD=2Eorg/XML/share/xml/freebsd-xhtml-release=2Exsl"=2E
>13=2E0=2E  I
>else
>> >
>> > Src and ports should each have their own RELNOTES file=2E
>> >
>> > The only operational concern I have is trimming the file, probably
>when a
>> > branch goes EOL=2E
>> >
>>=20
>> I'd add truncating the file on -current to the list of things we do
>when we
>> branch=2E then we can MFC RELNOTES as we MFC the features they
>describe=2E
>
>I disagree, truncating the file on -current destroys the list of
>changes that are still in current that need to get into the next
>set of release notes=2E
>
>Howerver there is 1 point on head/ to truncate the file=2E
>That is when we create a new =2E0 branch as that is the tree state
>that has nothing to put in the release notes=2E   This may be the
>most sane path forward that I had not thought of before=2E  All
>other branched versions can just continue to grow until EOL=2E
>This bounds the file to about a 2=2E5 year collection in head/,
>and a 5=2E0 year collection in stable/=2E
>It may make since to truncate on stable/X when stable/X=2EY's
>are created=2E
>
>I think we need to be fairly careful with the MFCing of this,
>that may work fine for things that are commited with a RELNOTES
>entry, something in the back of my head is screaming lots of
>merge conflicts but I can not put a solid finger on it=2E
>
>Something just hit me, what commit number goes in this file,
>if we list it by rXXXXXX of head, that has a rYYYYYY when MFC'ed,
>probably need to track both?  Which means all existing entries get
>an added line at stable/X creation to indicated the commit that
>created the branch?  If we try to simplify and only track by=20
>head commit that makes it harded to go find the MFC and see
>if there was merge munging to make it work=2E
>
>> Warner

Which is why trimming at branch EOL probably makes the most sense=2E It's =
simple and easy to implement=2E

As for what to do about MFCs and more specifically conflicts, conflicts wi=
ll be unavoidable=2E IMO conflicts with RELNOTES will be as likely as with =
UPDATING or Obsoletefiles=2E=20

--=20
Pardon the typos and autocorrect, small keyboard in use=2E
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy=2ESchubert@cschubert=2Ecom>
FreeBSD UNIX: <cy@FreeBSD=2Eorg> Web: http://www=2EFreeBSD=2Eorg

	The need of the many outweighs the greed of the few=2E