Date:      Fri, 4 Aug 2000 06:42:05 -0400
From:      Dennis Favro <dennis.favro@utoronto.ca>
To:        kglavin@pacbell.net
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Samba/NT Machine Accounts/NT Domain Controller

>At 12:17pm -0400 02/08/2000, Dennis Favro wrote:
>>   Under Linux, it used to be possible to type 'smbpasswd -a -m
>>mywindowspc' to add a machine acccount for an NT system.  FreeBSD has a
>>problem with this: under Linux, I'd need to create an entry in /etc/passwd
>>with the name of the machine ending in a dollar sign -- mywindowspc$ --
>>for smbpasswd to work.
>>
>>FreeBSD doesn't allow this.  Even if I add entries to /etc/passwd and/or
>>/etc/master.passwd, smbpasswd -a -m won't work.  I've searched Deja and
>>the Mailing List archives and haven't found any solutions to this
>>particular problem.

>Have a look at this URL as I just used it to make a PDC out
>  of a FreeBSD 3-5 box.
>
>I believe your problem is that the adduser script does not like the $,
>what I did was add a user 'mywindowspc' and then use vipw to manually
>add a $ as part of the name in the /etc/passwd entry has been added by
>adduser.

   I just tried it what was on the web page -- doesn't work.  However,
adding the user in adduser's interactive mode and then editing it
with vipw did.

   Funny -- I thought I tried that.  On the other hand, it was 4:00am,
I had been working for twenty-four hours and I was getting desperate.
:)  (I ended up setting up a Linux system and copying the smbpasswd
file over to FreeBSD)

   Thanks very much!

   Next problem:  Pulling up the browse list (via Network
Neighbourhood or NET.EXE VIEW) can be (occasionally) brutally slow or
(seldomly) broken.  I've enable nmbd's WINS support (here' s why: our
network is subnetted and the FreeBSD running Samba forwards traffic
between networks).  Can I speed this up (either in NT or FreeBSD) or
is this just typical SMB/NMB funkiness that I'll have to live with?
--
--dennis <mailto://dennis.favro@utoronto.ca>