Date:      Mon, 26 Oct 1998 11:11:22 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Shafia Kausar <s0k9955@unix.tamu.edu>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Timer granularity

On Sunday, 25 October 1998 at 11:47:45 -0600, Shafia Kausar wrote:
> Hi All,
> I have just started using FreeBSD. I am looking out for the kernel timer
> resolution. Any info or pointers are welcome.

Take a look at /sys/kern/kern_clock.c.  To quote the comment at line
502 of the 3.0-RELEASE version,

  /*
   * We have four functions for looking at the clock, two for microseconds
   * and two for nanoseconds.  For each there is fast but less precise
   * version "get{nano|micro}time" which will return a time which is up
   * to 1/HZ previous to the call, whereas the raw version "{nano|micro}time"
   * will return a timestamp which is as precise as possible.
   */

> P.S: I am sorry if this is a FAQ. Please give me the pointer if it
> is one.

It's definitely not a FAQ, but if you're messing around in the kernel,
you might consider joining the FreeBSD-hackers mailing list, which is
more in keeping with this kind of question.

Greg