Date:      Wed, 25 Apr 2001 16:26:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>
To:        ajh3@chmod.ath.cx (Andrew Hesford)
Cc:        mwm@mired.org (Mike Meyer), acahalan@cs.uml.edu (Albert D. Cahalan), questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How Is The FeeBSD OS Like and Different Than Say Redhat or Suse LINUX

Andrew Hesford writes:
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 10:47:21AM -0500, Mike Meyer wrote:
>> Albert D. Cahalan <acahalan@cs.uml.edu> types:

>>> The system is what comes on your CD-ROM.
>>
>> And this is important because it means you've *got* a backup of that
>> software. Your backup strategy can take advantage of that if you want.
>>
>> I'd say that most Linux rpm's should put software in /usr/local. An

Most 3rd party ones perhaps, if not in /opt.

> I should also redirect you to my earlier post. "Site-specific" (or
> "locally installed" if you read the Linux FSSTND) does NOT mean locally
> compiled.

No kidding. It includes the script your brother mailed you.
It includes the old Xenix binary you saved. It includes the
code you wrote and compiled on a different machine.

It does not include something you compiled via an automated process
that grabs the same source code for everyone and compiles that
source in the same way for everyone.

This is about backups mostly.