Date:      Thu, 27 Mar 2014 21:34:11 +0100
From:      Joar Jegleim <joar.jegleim@gmail.com>
To:        Rainer Duffner <rainer@ultra-secure.de>
Cc:        "freebsd-fs@freebsd.org" <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: zfs l2arc warmup

> Don't you need RAM for the L2ARC, too?
>
> http://www.richardelling.com/Home/scripts-and-programs-1/l2arc
>

> I'd just max-out the RAM on the DL370 - you'd need to do that anyway,
> according to the above spread-sheet....

yeah, it does. At the moment I've got 2x480GB ssd for l2arc and 144GB
ram, though I haven't found a way to calculate if I have enough ram or
not I've seen posts that make me suspect I had enough ram for this
setup.

The link from Johan Hendriks
https://blogs.oracle.com/brendan/entry/l2arc_screenshots mention that
in the bottom actually
"
It costs some DRAM to reference the L2ARC, at a rate proportional to
record size. For example, it currently takes about 15 Gbytes of DRAM
to reference 600 Gbytes of L2ARC - at an 8 Kbyte ZFS record size. If
you use a 16 Kbyte record size, that cost would be halve - 7.5 Gbytes.
This means you shouldn't, for example, configure a system with only 8
Gbytes of DRAM, 600 Gbytes of L2ARC, and an 8 Kbyte record size - if
you did, the L2ARC would never fully populate.
"

My two 480GB ssd's will probably be full by tomorrow, they're
currently at 686GB and got about 207GB left to fill.
I wonder how I can read out how much ram is used for l2arc reference
(?) would that be the 'HEADER' value from top in 9.2-RELEASE (the ARC
line)  it was around 3GB yesterday and now I see it's climbed to about
6.3GB .
(got 128KB record size) .

--
Joar Jegleim