Date:      Sat, 27 Oct 2007 10:38:39 -0500
From:      Chris <racerx@makeworld.com>
To:        "E. J. Cerejo" <ecerejo@optonline.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Portupgrade used to be fun!!!

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 00:12:49 -0400
"E. J. Cerejo" <ecerejo@optonline.net> wrote:

> Not anymore!  Every time I cvsup my ports tree and I see all of those
> ports that need to be updated my belly aches and that's because
> portupgrade doesn't work the way it used to work.  It is not fun any
> more!  Always an issue, either a port conflicts with another port or
> it fails all together.  I have forgotten the last time I updated my
> ports without any issues.  Today scrollkeeper is conflicting with
> rarian, they install files on the same directory.  Go figure.  Those
> were the days when it used to work.

This is one of the main reasons users are having a serious look at
Linux distros like Fedora or some Debian-ish  ones.

I have used (and still do) both flavors of the above and I have to tell
y, updating the installed apps is as easy as apt-get update ot yum
update/upgrade.

I used to love spending my Friday nights updating my FreeBSD ports -
then, as you are finding out - it's just getting tedious.

I'm unsure if there is the makings of a whole new way to update/upgrade
the ports, but it's something that should be considered.

Please - I know what some of you out there will say, "Then why don't
you do it" - I'm not criticizing, simply commenting on my experiences.

--
Best regards,
Chris