Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 1996 11:02:09 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
To:        Bob Willcox <bob@luke.pmr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem w/dump & Archive (Conner) Python tape drives

>As it turns out, the problems I was having were related to the
>disks I was trying to dump, not the tape drive.  In despiration I
>tried dumping the same disks to /dev/null and had the same hang.
>I believe I have some problem on the SCSI bus that that the disks
>on that system that dump must trigger.  I moved the tape drive to
>another system (I only had it on that one for testing) and it worked
>ok.

If its hanging both the NCR and the 2940, I'd guess so.

>BTW, since you have one of these tape drives, perhaps you can tell
>me how to enable/disable compression.  I had hoped that it would
>default to compress on but so far it appears to not want to write
>more than appx 4GB on a tape so it looks like it might have
>compression off.

Its in one of the mode pages.  I don't recall off hand, but it was
recently added to the scsi.8 mode page table so you should be able to find
it in share/scsi_modes and use scsi.8 to tweak it.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations