Date:      Fri, 24 Sep 1999 15:04:33 +0200
From:      Matthias Teege <matthias@mteege.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ipfw and accounting

Moin,

I wish to count how many bytes I transfer over my isp0 device. So I
setup two ipfw rules:

ipfw add 64080 count ip from any to any out via isp0
ipfw add 64090 count ip from any to any in via isp0

I open the interface for a short http connection and after i4b close
the line i make a 'ipfw show'

64080       1042      97442 count ip from any to any out xmit isp0
64090        924     160482 count ip from any to any in recv isp0

I think that means that there where 97kb outgoing and 160kb incoming
but i4b reports that 51kb in and 82kb outgoing.

Counts the ipfw rule in 512kb blocks or are the lines completly wrong?

Thank
Matthias

PS: Sorry for my poor english but the problem is hard to describe:-)