Date:      Fri, 9 Jan 2009 18:17:49 -0500
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        Rem P Roberti <remegius@comcast.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mounting /c

On Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 01:43:45PM -0800, Rem P Roberti wrote:

> Question 1)
>
> I have this alias that allows me to mount my windoze drive at /c:
>
> alias mdc='mount_ntfs /dev/ad1s1 /c'
>
> It works fine.  I thought that I could automate the process further by
> mounting /c at boot-up time, so I added this to fstab:
>
> # Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump
> Pass#
> /dev/ad1s1                  /c                  ntfs
> rw                 1           0
>
> That doesn't work.  What is wrong there?

I think I must be missing something here.   This all seems like the hard
way to do things, or else you are trying to do something I don't understand.

It seems to me like just:
  mkdir /c:                      (skip the : if you don't really want it)
  mount_ntfs /dev/as1s1 /c:

Should work.
And then, put this in your /etc/fstab:

# Device             Mountpoint      FStype  Options        Dump    Pass#
/dev/ad1s1            /c:             ntfs     ro            0       0

to get it to mount when the system comes up.

I do this with an  msdosfs  filesystem type with no problem and once
had a machine with ntfs and did it there.  (but that is gone so I
can't go and check it now)

> Question 2)
>
> I know that it is possible to copy files from /c to my freebsd drive, but
> is it possible to do that in reverse?

In general, you should not expect to be able to write to an ntfs file
system type.    That is why I converted my MS-Win file system to FAT32.
According to the man page, some limited writing can be done, but the
list of limitations is long and they are not all immediately straightforward.
See    man mount_ntfs   for more information on this.

If you really want to try writing to the ntfs file system from FreeBSD,
then you would have to change the mount option to 'rw' from 'ro'.

////jerry