Date:      Fri, 10 Sep 2004 19:21:27 -0700
From:      Nicholas Jackson <m8905186@ncafe.com>
To:        rchopra@cal.berkeley.edu, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adding A Hard Drive Using A PCI Controller

It sounds like it might be an out-of-date firmware problem to me.

Check the web sites for both the Promise controller and your motherboard
and make sure you have flashed your hardware with the most recent
updates if more recent ones are available.

Those new, large IDE drives require 48 bit support in the controller
and it probably wouldn't hurt to check that your computer's BIOS is as
recent as possible as well.

Of course, it could be something else, (cables?) but I've had similar
problems that were cured instantly and painlessly by updated firmware.

-Nick