Date:      Fri, 10 Mar 2000 15:05:04 -0500
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        Sandip Srivastava <ssriva1@alumni.umbc.edu>
Cc:        Mark Ovens <mark@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X won't run after upgrade

On Fri, Mar 10, 2000 at 09:31:53AM -0500, Sandip Srivastava wrote:
> I did as Mark Owens said. I did a rebuild and said no to compile with PAM
> support. After this it worked fine. What is PAM anyway, why doesn't it
> work with FreeBSD? Thanks for the help.

Pluggable Authentification Modules.

  % man 5 pam
  % apropos pam

As a complete aside, has anyone else noticed that the OpenSSH port
puts a pam_ssh.so file in /usr/lib (and _not_ in /usr/local/lib)? I
was a little surprised there's never been an uproar about a security-
tool port installing files in /usr/lib.