Date:      Fri, 13 Oct 2000 09:26:56 -0700
From:      Charles Henrich <henrich@sigbus.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Vinum/Fsck 1TB filesystem

On the subject of Re: Vinum/Fsck 1TB filesystem, Greg Lehey stated:

> [Format recovered--see http://www.lemis.com/email/email-format.html]
>
> Please don't wrap program output and log files.

Sorry, X-Windows paste got me.

> Well, without knowing what went before, no.  That's why I ask for the
> information I do at http://www.vinumvm.org/vinum/how-to-debug.html.
> Obviously you'll get this if you forget to newfs, or if newfs fails
> for any reason.  It would also be nice to know whether you have ever
> been able to fsck this file system: you're pretty close to the
> theoretical file system size limit.  I'd like to investigate this,
> since we don't see many 1 TB file systems, but at the moment I'm flat
> out preparing for the next week of conferences.  Is it possible to
> recreate this problem later, and make 2 512 GB file systems for the
> moment?

Well right now there is data on the drives.  Setting it up the first time
through went flawlessly.  I used vinum -stripe to stripe across the two 512GB
drives, the newfs'd the bad boy and mounted it up.  We used it for several
hours when during the creation of a file write the system puked badly.  During
this write the first of the two drives activity lights stayed on, until I
forced a reboot (some processes would not die), when it came back up the above
error occured.  I finally remembered fsck -b (duh), and it fsck'd off the
alternate block just fine, corrected a single file error.  When I went and
touched the same file however, the same error conditions occured, and another
reboot.  Another fsck, and removing the file and directory structure it was
in, and now everything is working okay.  I've not ever seen anything like this
before.  Im beginning to think that taking the FS up to 1TB is just too risky,
so will try and break it back down to two 512GB drives next week after the
data is backed up.  Im curious why fsck is horking so badly on that boot block
though, shouldnt it automagically look for backups ?

-Crh

      Charles Henrich       Manex Visual Effects       henrich@sigbus.com

                       http://www.sigbus.com/~henrich