Date:      Sat, 7 Mar 1998 15:07:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Riscom/8 Serial Cards

I was wondering if FreeBSD supported the 8-port serial cards made by
Riscom.  BSD/OS does, and their intro man page describes the card as
being:

---
RC(4)                       BSD Programmer's Manual                   RC(4)

NAME
     rc - SDL Communications RISCom/8 8-port serial multiplexor

SYNOPSIS
     rc0 at isa? port 0x220 flags 0x0

DESCRIPTION
     The RISCom/8 is an eight port EIA RS-232C (CCITT V.28) communications
     multiplexor.  It uses a block of 16 I/O ports selectable by on-board
     switches. The block must be aligned on a 16 port boundary.  The  jumper-
     selectable hardware interrupt level is detected during autoconfiguration
     or alternatively can be specified in the system configuration file (in
     this case no check is performed).
---

I may be receiving two of these, and would love to multiplex a bunch of
freebsd machines using serial consoles to a management machine. :)  I
don't even know if these things are made anymore, but thought it would be
worth a try.  I saw that the FreeBSD man pages describe two of Riscom's
high-speed serial devices, but not this device.

Thanks,

  Robert N Watson

Carnegie Mellon University http://www.cmu.edu/
SafePort Network Services  http://www.safeport.com/