Date:      Fri, 23 Mar 2001 01:23:13 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
To:        "Mike Meyer" <mwm@mired.org>, "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: dialup modem (some off topic stuff)

> Nokia seems to be doing something better than Ericsson. I've got one
> of the bitsy fashion phones (because it's the only one available
with
> IR modem capability except for Ericssons) with no external antenna,
> and it's usable in places the Ericsson - with a small external
antenna
> - wasn't. Of course, the Ericsson was pretty much junk anyway, which
> is why I got a Nokia and gave away the Ericssons.

I have a number of GSM phones around here (up to 5 years old.) NONE
of the ones more than 13 months old that are still functional are
Nokia.
After the problems with their DataSuite product & a number of bad
experiences
with Nokia warranty claims they don't have much chance of selling
their particular
brand of trash anywhere I have influence.  The only significant issues
I've had with
any other GSM phone were the fragile aerial on Ericsson 197s & broken
keypads
on NECs ... the only ones that carked it prematurely were Nokia.

er <mwm@mired.org> http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/