Date:      Wed, 4 Mar 1998 10:20:52 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        stuart henderson <stuart@internationalschool.co.uk>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        FreeBSD Documenters <doc@FreeBSD.ORG>

On Tue,  3 March 1998 at 10:51:55 +0000, stuart henderson wrote:
>> IMHO, HTML is the best choice for this documentation.  HTML is
>> accessible from nearly everywhere, space efficient and by definition,
>> hypertext.
>
>> If a plain text version is necessary for ease of printing and access
>> where a browser isn't available, use the existing SGML tools to
>> produce HTML and text from one base.
>
> At the moment, it's not very easy to get at the handbook or FAQ offline
> until FreeBSD is installed. It would probably be more useful for many
> people to be able to read it first - certainly in countries where phone
> calls have to be paid for, online reading isn't a very sensible option.
>
> I think at the very least, there should be a (preferably .zip) archive
> of the HTML versions for offline reading.
>
> A printable version as well would be nice: .ps is not a very good choice
> because very few people in the Windows world know about ghostscript -
> RTF/Word/PDF all have the advantage of being printer-independent and
> usable on a reasonably standard configuration.

I'm picking on your message to answer mainly because it's the last in
sequence in my incoming mail :-) I don't have time to answer each
message blow-by-blow, and I'm not sure it would be the best way to do
it if I did.  I have a number of points to make:

1.  This is really an issue to discuss in -doc, not in -chat.  I'm
    following up there.

2.  The ASCII (latin1) version of the handbook doesn't contain any
    high-bit-set characters.  The only unusual character it contains
    is a ^H (backspace), which even on DOS impact printers will create
    a bolder impression.  In UNIX, you can (and I do) remove it with
    sed 's:.^H::g'.  I suppose it would make sense to include a
    stripped version on the next CD-ROM, like I'm planning to put an
    ASCII version of "The Complete FreeBSD".

3.  ASCII is *terrible* to read.  One of the reasons I'm still
    wondering whether it's worth the trouble is that it's almost
    illegible.  So much of the information is in the fonts and the
    character sizes; without this information, it's often very
    difficult to understand.

4.  It is possible to install groff on DOS.  I've never done it, and I
    have no intention of introducing Microsoft to my workspace, but
    people should at least be made aware of the possibility.

5.  I think HTML stinks as a documentation format.  It's barely
    acceptable as a web format, and the attempts I've made to use it
    for Real Documents have been painful.  Compare
    http://www.lemis.com/errata-2.html and
    ftp://ftp.lemis.com/pub/cfbsd/errata-2.ps, both of which
    ostensibly are the same document.  About the only advantage it has
    is that just about everybody has a reader.

    BTW, can't you display .html files with Microsoft-based browsers?

I've probably forgotten something here.  I may follow up.

Greg