Date:      Fri, 12 May 2000 22:49:20 +0700 (ALMST)
From:      Boris Popov <bp@butya.kz>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.org, peter@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Loader fixed

On Fri, 12 May 2000, John Baldwin wrote:

> Here's a broken one:
>
> -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  186648 May 11 11:48 /boot/loader.old
>
> If we do a little hex work:
>
> > printf "%x %x" 182680 186648
> 2c998 2d918

	I have zero knowledge about Alpha architecture and may be
completely wrong, but:

	Loader load address defined as:

SECONDARY_LOAD_ADDRESS= 0x2000c000      # "Region 1 start" + 48k

	As I can see from sources, at the boot moment here is only one
page of 256K dedicated to loader, so:

	256*1024 - 0xc000 - 0x2d918 = 26344

	A loader binary doesn't contain BSS segment which consists of
stack (8KB) and uninitialized data.

	It is quite possible, that together with BSS data, total loader size
exceeds 256k limit (and/or overlaps with heap which may explain
mysterious zfree() error).

--
Boris Popov