Date:      Fri, 27 Sep 2002 11:27:59 +0200
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
To:        Oscar Ricardo Silva <oscars@mail.utexas.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wondering about mail clients (specific features)

# oscars@mail.utexas.edu / 2002-09-26 15:38:35 -0500:
> It is not my intention to start any religious wars about mail clients.  I'm
> currently using Eudora (stop, drop, roll and duck incoming slings and
> arrows) on Windows.

    yeah, i used to use eudora, too.

> One feature I like is that when mail is received and filtered into
> different mailboxes, you are told there is new mail in those
> mailboxes.  I subscribe to many different mailing lists and for the
> sake of my sanity I filter incoming mail from each list into its own
> mailbox.

    that's what i do, too.

> I've tried using pine with procmail and mail is filtered properly but
> I don't know that there is new mail in mailboxes other than "In".
> Is there something I'm missing in pine that will do this?  Are there other
> mail clients that will notify you when new mail has been received and
> placed in a mailbox other than "IN" ?

    hmmm. i never really used pine except for a short time when i tried
    to set it up on windows when i got really pissed off by eudora, so i
    can't tell if it's an actual limitation in pine or a
    misconfiguration. what i *do* know is that mutt does this just fine.

    if you're comfortable with pine (iow, if you don't need buttons and
    that stuff to be happy) you'll love mutt.

    if you do try mutt out, i'll be happy to help you with the setup.

--
begin 666 nonexistent.vbs
FreeBSD 4.7-RC