Date:      Mon, 19 Aug 2002 11:27:44 +0100
From:      Kevin Golding <kevin@caomhin.demon.co.uk>
To:        Henrik Motakef <henrik.motakef@web.de>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: making a new port - make install wants to strip a shell script

Someone, quite probably Henrik Motakef, once wrote:
>Kevin Golding <kevin@caomhin.demon.co.uk> writes:
>> allegro-config is a Bourne script that is part of the standard install,
>> and by default it goes in bin.
>>
>> >If so, how do you install it? You should use ${INSTALL_SCRIPT}, not
>> >${INSTALL_PROGRAM}, because the latter will try to strip the installed
>> >program.
>
>I don't think you need this, or any do-install at all. I just had a
>quick look at allegro, and it compiled and installed just fine out of
>the box, including allegro-config.

Well, I've ended up making a patch for makefile.in so that it uses
${INSTALL_SCRIPT} and now I've got it to compile and install.  I'm not
really clear why this difference occurs, but I figure I've learnt to
look out for this in the future and it's given me something to think
about over the next few days.

Thanks for the help,

Kevin
--