Date:      Fri, 25 Jan 2002 11:18:28 -0600
From:      "Burt, Randall -CONT(DYN)" <Randall.Burt@cnet.navy.mil>
To:        "'freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   A purpose and a goal (was - RE: Networking)

Ok, so I've been a lurker on here for a while and I guess its time to chime
in.  Rick brings up an interesting point in that this list claims to be for
newbies to discuss non-technical BSD topics.  And yet, all I have seen has
been "I can't get my network card working" or "PPP !!????" type stuff.
How's about a discussion of BSD's value on the desktop vs. Linux, or great
apps to get once you've gotten that rig up and running (using all the info
you got from -questions ;))?  I have gotten FreeBSD running on a spare box
at work, so now what? What are the differences in the "flavors" of BSD, and
which is right for me? (I seem to remember a small article on that last
subject, but it wasn't very detailed) What can a lowly newbie do to help?
Are there any BSD user groups similar to the LUGs that pop up everywhere?
How would I get one started?
Granted, everyone has been helpful and I must say that the BSD community
seems a bit more forgiving, on the whole, than some of the hard-core Linux
folks.  However, it seems that this forum was intended to foster discussion
about and around the community itself rather than solving particular
configuration/installation/whatever type problems.
I may be off base here, and ultimately this list is about what the user's
make it, but I subscribed to this list because I expected the kind of
discourse described above.

RTB3