Date:      Fri, 26 Dec 2003 10:53:48 -0600
From:      danl@solvnet.net
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.9, 5.1 boot failure after install

Hello,

I had 4.9 release working and did a clean install of 5.1 release over
the 4.9 and ended up with boot failure after install. Using allBSD
partition and standard MBR I get a missing operating system error. If I
use the FreeBSD boot I just get "default F1" and a beep. Now trying to
install the 4.9 gives the same results.

I'm using a Mylex DAC960ptl (accelraid 250) with the primary disk
setup as JBOD. I set the bootable disk as active but everytime I go
back to config fdisk the flag is not set.

I then upgraded and flashed the RAID card, reformatted the disks and
tried a 4.9 install, again with the same results.

Is there an issue with the DAC card geometry or BIOS? Or a subtle
quirk that isn't documented yet?

thanks,
Dan