Date:      Fri, 10 Oct 2008 11:19:05 +0200
From:      "Johan Hendriks" <Johan@double-l.nl>
To:        "Laszlo Nagy" <gandalf@shopzeus.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: 7.1 hangs, shutdown terminated

>Johan Hendriks =EDrta:
>> If find / -sx is running and is consuming all CPU, what is the value =
of >vfs.ufs.dirhash_mem:=20

>> # sysctl -a | grep dirhash
>>  =20
>shopzeus# sysctl -a | grep dirhash
>vfs.ufs.dirhash_docheck: 0
>vfs.ufs.dirhash_mem: 2095818
>vfs.ufs.dirhash_maxmem: 2097152
>vfs.ufs.dirhash_minsize: 2560

>> Make sure vfs.ufs.dirhash_mem: is not close to =
vfs.ufs.dirhash_maxmem:
>>  =20
>All right. It is close to it. Which one should I increase? I put this=20
>into /etc/sysctl.conf:

>vfs.ufs.dirhash_maxmem=3D8228608

>Would it be scufficient?

>Thanks,

>   Laszlo

vfs.ufs.dirhash_maxmem=3D is the value to adjust.

Mine is at 12582912. this happens on Mailservers 'which has a lot of =
directorys for the mail.

The value depends on how many directory's there are on your system.
Keep track on the value and when it hits the limit again increase the =
limit until it stays under the limit.

It can take a while to reach the limit again.

Regards,
Johan Hendriks
Double L Automatisering