Date:      Fri, 29 Jan 1999 09:15:24 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>, Yana Lehey <yana@lemis.com>
Subject:   Computers for kids (was: Back to school)

On Thursday, 28 January 1999 at 10:24:00 +0000, Mark Ovens wrote:
> Greg Lehey wrote:
>>
>> My daughter has just gone back to school after the summer break.  She
>> brought back a sheet of paper today with various hints on how to use
>> their Microsoft system.  One thing I found particularly interesting:
>>
>>   * Deleting a file is simple.  Right click on the Start button and
>>     choose Explore.
>>
>>   * Scroll down to the Network Neighbourhood.  Navigate your way to
>>     the folder as before.
>>
>>   * Move the mouse on to the file you want to change and right click.
>>     You can now delete or rename the file.
>>
>> Is there something wrong with me to think that this is more
>> complicated than `rm file'?
>>

> You haven't Cc:'d this to the school ;-)

I'm still waiting for the answer to my last message.

> Serious question Greg. Does your daughter use a computer at home,
> other than for games?

Yes.

> If so does she use one of your Unix boxes or do you have a Windows
> PC?

The machine she has is dual boot.  Most of the time she runs FreeBSD,
but occasionally she has to boot Microsoft for games or some such.

> I ask because I've setup KDE and fvwm95 on my machine (I use olvwm)
> together with a selection of games and editor/word processor packages
> (Wordpad type things) to see if I could get the kids to use FreeBSD
> instead of Win95.

She uses fvwm2, not fvwm95.

> It has proved quite a successful exercise but my eldest daughter (12)
> is now starting to get research type homework tasks for which a
> Multimedia Encyclopaedia (no, we don't use M$ Encarta) is invaluable.
> As all of these are Windows-only it really prevents me from being able
> to remove Win95 (and give FreeBSD another 255MB).

Agreed.  This annoys me a lot as well

> OK, such research could be done on the Internet, but telephone charges
> could make this prohibitive, especially for schools. I rather hope
> that with the increased acceptance of Linux in the mainstream we may
> see Linux versions of such software available in the not too distant
> future. Then I can get rid of 95.

I suppose it depends on what you mean by ``not too distant''.  I don't
see any evidence of people doing any extra work here, and that's what
it would boil down to.

Greg