Date:      Fri, 26 May 2000 16:27:26 -0400
From:      Nathan Vidican <webmaster@wmptl.com>
To:        Grandpa Walrus <root@web-walrus.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RAID and FreeBSD

Grandpa Walrus wrote:

> I stumbled across a controller card that can support hot-swappable IDE
> drives (the card is from a company called Promise Technologies)
>
> URL for what I saw is http://www.365usa.com/promisetech.asp
>
> Have any of you ever used this product with FreeBSD successfully?  If not,
> do you know of a good vendor for IDE hot-swap RAID controller cards
> and drive mounts?
>
> Any info, as always, would be greatly appreciated.

We looked at using those same cards. BTW, the site is
http://www.promise.com/. The hot-swap does work, however the RAID
function(s) of the card are software based, and thus unsupported by
FreeBSD's drivers. You can utilize the controller(s) for hot-swap IDE,
but for the RAID portion of it you'll probably have to use a software
based solution, (ie Vinum).
	I'd reccomend looking at the 3ware, (http://www.3ware.com/), ATA Raid
cards if IDE RAID is something you're really interested in doing. Right
now I'm working on a server that requires redundant hot-swappable
storage as well, but I opted to go with a Mylex controller, and SCSI UW
disks instead of ATA. (I have an eight-port 3Ware ATA 66 RAID controller
I'm toying with right now, but it does not support hot-swapping drives.)

--
Nathan Vidican
webmaster@wmptl.com