Date:      25 Jan 2005 20:46:31 +0100
From:      peter@bgnett.no (Peter N. M. Hansteen)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DNS

"Zaid Dashti" <zaid@ben-dashti.com> writes:

> i bought a domain, and i'm trying to host it using my machine in my home
> (just for learning how to host and DNS)

First thing to check for: has the domain been properly delegated to you?

What kind of response do you get from say,

$ dig domaininquestion.tld ns

or

dig domaininquestion.tld any

Is the machine you are setting up among the ns records listed by dig?

> but i got a problem, when i use nslookup then i change the server to my DNS
> machine IP local network (by using another computer in the local network),
> it works fine, but when i use the IP of my internet account, i got time-out
> why? how to solve it ?

If your machine is supposed to be the master, you should check that it
is set up to answer authoratively for your domain to at least the
authorative slaves and preferably to the world. Check that any
firewalling of port 53 udp *and* tcp is turned off while you're at it.

These are at least some of the more common errors.

Good luck with the debugging!