Date:      Thu, 20 Jul 2000 21:58:00 -0700
From:      "Lawrence Cotnam Jr." <larry@pkunk.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   No help...

I'm most disappointed.  I've been running FreeBSD since version 2, and in
all this time I've never experience the total lack of any assistance from
the userbase.  In the past, I've received good advice and help regarding
FreeBSD-small for embedded systems, which my company has used for our
embedded server product.  But now... In the past 3 months, I've posted two
very serious issues I've experienced and the first issue, regarding Bus
Mastering SiS 5591 PCI IDE controller going into UDMA mode receive *ZERO*
replies.  Nothing.  And now... my troubles with a 3COM 3C509 NIC has
received one (rather useless, but thank you Julian.  I appreciate your
input, even if it had nothing to do with the problem) reply.  This is just
so disappointing.  I've been using this operating system for about 5 years
and I used to love it.  The support used to be wonderful.  The hardware
support used to be wonderful.  Now... its not.  I can't get any of you folks
to so much as offer any suggestions (excepting Julian) to my questions, even
when I supply ample information regarding the problem, and attempted
solutions.  I've jumped ship.

After 10 hours of hard work, I successfully migrated my entire server to
Debian Linux, which I must say, the legacy hardware support is there.  Like
FreeBSD used to be.  I wish you all well, but I won't be back with FreeBSD
any time soon.  Not only has the eroding legacy hardware support been a
great disappointment, the lack of any userbase input regarding my troubles
with such legacy hardware has been even more disappointing.  I sorrows me to
have to file away 5 years of know how and experience with this what used to
be wonderful operating system, but the support is gone, the legacy drivers
are flaky at best.

Lawrence Cotnam Jr.
(775) 337-2536
email: larry@pkunk.net