Date:      Mon, 26 Nov 2001 14:09:26 +0200
From:      "Patrick O'Reilly" <patrick@mip.co.za>
To:        "FreeBSD Stable List" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   make installworld error at mbr - RELENG_4, src-all

Hi all.

I've run cvsup as for RELENG_4 and src-all.  Then:
1) make buildworld
2) make buildkernel
3) make installkernel
4) init 1
5) make installworld

During the last installworld step it stops, error log as follows:
----------------------------
===> sys8
===> sys/boot
===> sys/boot/ficl
===> sys/boot/i386
===> sys/boot/i386/mbr
install -c -o root -g wheel -m 444 mbr /boot
*** Error code 71
byte 3118
Stop in /usr/src/sys/boot/i386/mbr.
*** Error code 1
byte 3172
----------------------------

Now, I'm quite new to cvsup, and this is a freshly installed box (4.3 CD
set) which I am trying to update, so it is entirely possible that the fault
lies with myself, and not the system!  I tried looking at the makefile in
/usr/src/sys/boot/i386/mbr and it looks OK to the untrained eye.  I did not
see anything that shouted corruption, so I think the cvsup was clean.

BTW: I have a modified kernel config file (/etc/make.conf has
"KERNCONF=yam").  Basically, it is GENERIC with extra devices stripped out,
and UFS_DIRHASH added in.  I don't think I've messed that up.

Any pointers?

Patrick.