Date:      Fri, 12 Sep 2003 11:24:26 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Paul Cocker <paul.cocker@fph-tr.nhs.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: whereis fails

--45Z9DzgjV8m4Oswq

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 10:10:22AM +0100, Paul Cocker wrote:
> Trying to use the "whereis" command, e.g. whereis XFree86-4 only to get t=
he error:
>=20
> Warning: Couldn't stat file /usr/local/man!
> Warning: Couldn't stat file /usr/X11R6/man!
> XFree86-4:
>=20
> Neither of these directories exist (local, X11R6).  When I installed Free=
BSD 4.7-RELEASE I installed bin, crypto, man and ports.

Yup.  whereis(1) is entirely correct to complain about some missing
standard filesystem structure.  You can fix things up by:

    # mtree -U -p /usr/local < /etc/mtree/BSD.local.dist
    # mtree -U -p /usr/X11R6 < /etc/mtree/BSD.x11-4.dist

but you'll still be missing all of the man pages and things that were
meant to go into those directories.  I'm also wandering how you
managed to do an install and avoid haveing the system generate all
that stuff for you.  There's no knowing what else could be missing.

If you have the time, disk space and inclination, I'd recommend that
you install cvsup, pull down the latest ports tree and the latest
4.7-RELEASE-pN sources (or 4.8-RELEASE-pN if you fancy something more
up to date) and do a full {install,build}world cycle, install
portupgrade(1) and update any installed ports.  That sounds like a
great deal of work, but most of it involves sitting back with the hot
beverage of your choice while the computer compiles stuff.  Detailed
instructions can be found in the Handbook, particularly:

    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html
    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/synching.html
    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html
    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig.=