Date:      Sun, 30 Sep 2001 18:02:54 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, <arch@FreeBSD.ORG>, Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Subject:   Re: Style Wars

On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, John Baldwin wrote:

> I'm think 1b) is the one most people have favored so far and it is rather close
> to our existing style, so it's not that big of a change.  Does anyone object to
> 1b)?  It basically results in the following changes: use 2 tab spaces instead
> of 1 for type names, put the entire type name before the tab(s), and if the
> type is too long, just use a space.
>
> > 1b)
> >
> > struct foo {
> >         int             f_type;
> >         struct mtx      f_lock;
> >         const char      *f_name;
> >         volatile int    f_int;
> >         u_int64_t       f_64;
> >         const volatile char f_cv;
> >         TAILQ_ENTRY(foo) f_link;
> > };

Yes, this is essentially just the current style with encouragement for
more verboseness.  It's interesting that indent(1) defaults to the
too-large indent of 16 (-di16).  I wouldn't want to go back to that
:-).  I prefer to use 1 space after the typename, but for FreeBSD I
don't mind using 1 tab after short typenames.

Bruce