Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 1995 11:57:08 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        eilts@late.e-technik.uni-erlangen.de (Hinrich Eilts)
Cc:        wollman@lcs.mit.edu, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lkm programming

> > > Can anybody point me to some direction where I might get information on
> > > implementing loadable kernel modules?
> >
> > Your best bet is probably to look at the sources of the ones that
> > already exist.  Be aware that there is quite a bit of magic going on
> > with the VFS LKMs, so you should probably look at something simpler
> > like the discard driver.
> >
> The lack of any documentation regarding kernel programming is one
> of the biggest disadvantures of FreeBSD.

A book on the order of "The Design and implementation of 4.4 BSD UNIX"
would take 3-5 people in excess of a year to write and get published.

Anything less is too transient to really matter (or be worth someone's
time).

Given the timing on all this, that would mean that perhaps a FreeBSD
1.1.5.1 book could be ready by now... and have no market.

Kernel programming books require very specific *working* examples; the
install books, etc. for Linux are basically hack jobs of FAQ and "HowTo"
information, with some rip-offs of the less outdated information.  I'd
guess 2-3 months with an advance royalty and a publisher prearrangement
to get something for FreeBSD on the order of one of the Linux books.
It'd be trash, it'd probably sell, but I wouldn't want my name on the
cover.  Maybe I'll write one under a pseudonym, like "Peter Norton".
"Peter Norton's guide to FreeBSD".  8-).

Tell me: seen any good books on Linux kernel programming lately?  How
about "The Linux Programming Environment", for user space programmers?

For the most part, the source code contains good documentation in the
form of comments.  If you have a specific question, there are the
mailing lists or the address of the person named in the id string on
freebsd.org.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---