Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 2003 17:48:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>
To:        advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Revamped Look 'n' feel: Feedback appreciated!

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Benjamin Polidore wrote:
> Yet again, this list is out of control.

go figure. ;)

> I think the argument most people are trying to make is that FreeBSD needs a
> more MODERN site, not a more "professional" site whatever that means.

cool...  i'm not opposed, and i'm sure no one (including the people with
the power to make it actually happen) would be if it was done well.

to the original poster -- it's not good to state your case by belittling
the current site while failing to provide anything better.  i'm not saying
you can't be creative, i didn't say a new site couldn't be well
implemented, and i wouldn't be opposed to the .org/.com split if that's
really decided to be for the best.  however, expect criticism if you
suggest replacing something and can't seem to do better.

my original point still holds...  even if we go the split .com/.org
direction, it would be nice if someone got (friends, coworkers, etc.)
volunteers with real web experience to do the work.  we have a web team
now, but the last time i communicated with members of the team (quite
awhile now), everyone was overworked and underpaid.  if someone out there
could get some volunteer time donated to the project, that'd probably go a
long way...  and i mean real web designers that are willing and able to
look at the current site, see how things are done, understand why, etc.
and suggest/implement/maintain improvements.

> The format of the site hasn't changed in YEARS, and in this time, there have
> been many advances in web technology.  In order to represent FreeBSD as a
> modern operating system, its web site should make use of at least some of
> these technologies.  Of course the site shouldn't be gaudy or glib; it
> should be modern looking and appealing to first time visitors while
> maintaining its practicality to regular users.

as others have pointed out, the RH example was quite bad.  despite looking
"modern" their site is pretty useless.  the reason some people objected so
loudly (self certainly included), was that the original post seemed to
hold RH's site in high esteem...  ick.

> To the purists, I would say that a modern site can actually be MORE
> efficient; that is the purpose of PHP and the like.  Things like collapsible
> menus and other dynamic content can make browsing a site a lot easier if
> done well.

no question.

> FreeBSD needs a new look.

maybe.  majority rules.

-mrh

From: "Spam Catcher" <spam-catcher@adept.org>
To: spam-catcher@adept.org
Do NOT send email to the address listed above or
you will be added to a blacklist!