Date:      Thu, 22 Dec 1994 20:44:23 -0500
From:      Dave Boynton <dboynton@clark.net>
To:        hlew@genome.Stanford.EDU
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: internal modem on com4

> From hlew@genome.stanford.edu Thu Dec 22 02:32 EST 1994
> Date: Wed, 21 Dec 1994 23:22:01 +0000
> From: Howard Lew <hlew@genome.stanford.edu>
> Subject: Re: internal modem on com4
> To: Dave Boynton <dboynton@clark.net>
> cc: questions@freebsd.org
>
> On Tue, 20 Dec 1994, Dave Boynton wrote:
> >
> > I read the Slip faq but I'm still at a loss on setting it up
> > with my internal modem, which is on com4 (0x2e8, irg 3). I've
> > rebuilt the kernel with com4 having those values, and the port
> > is recognized on boot-up, but which /dev/tty* do I use for
> > kermit and/or slip or ppp?  I've tried /dev/tty0-4 but most say
> > "not configured" or "file not found", etc.
> >

> I thought it would be easier to flip a jumper to another IRQ (7 I
> think)... But anyway, do you have a device called /dev/cua03 using your
> setup?  Take a look in /dev.

I probably would've taken less time, even with it being an internal modem.
Someone should look a the kernel makefile - I shouldn't have to recompile
every object file whenever some minor change is made to the configuration.
Commercial Unix's don't distribute kernel source, and they just as many
options.

> From my experiences, if not:
>
> cd /dev
> sh MAKEDEV cua03
>
> Then instead of choosing /dev/tty* use /dev/cua03 in your
> communications program (I use minicom), and that should correspond
> to com4 and all should be well.
>
> I hope this helps.

Thanks; it did.  Apparently, the Slip FAQ needs updating - I recall it
saying in one place to use /dev/tty01, and using /dev/cua01 as an example
in another. And I would've thought the distributed configuration would've
made all four sio devices, since the kernel had them in the configuration.

Dave Boynton