Date:      Fri, 26 Mar 1999 19:20:33 -0600
From:      Alan Weber <aaweber@austin.rr.com>
To:        Nick <nick@namodn.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cable modem: Firewall & Ip Aliasing

  <big snip>

You almost have it right. You will need to run NATD to translate your 10.x.x.x
addresses to a real internet address and reverse the process on the way back.
Having a single interface for the gateway is not a good idea as anyone on your
local cable segment can mess with your 10.x.x.x machine. I would recommend that
you get another nic for the gateway. You then have on nic for the internal
network and one for the cable modem internet. You can get natd to work with
one nic but it will be harder. man natd has all you need to know for the two
nic setup. Search the questions mail archives for the single nic setup.

--
When I was a kid I had to rub sticks together to multiply and divide numbers.
A calculator was a job description.