Date:      Mon, 9 Sep 2002 01:20:59 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Chris Bolt <chris-lists@bolt.cx>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How do I increase maxsockets?

In message: <3D7BBA44.1080705@bolt.cx>
            Chris Bolt <chris-lists@bolt.cx> wrote:
> I'm running a very busy web server with thttpd on FreeBSD
> 4.6-RELEASE, and I need it to be able to handle more than 16,000
> connections. I've gone through everything else and I am almost
> positive that the only bottleneck is the kern.ipc.maxsockets sysctl:
>
> # sysctl kern.ipc.maxsockets
> kern.ipc.maxsockets: 16424
>
> But I can't just set that, since it's ready only. The only way to
> raise this magic number that I have found is by raising maxusers.

The value of maxsockets can not be larger than the value of
kern.maxfiles or kern.ipc.nmbclusters.  You have to increase both of
these accordingly, before increasing kern.ipc.maxsockets.

You might also want to tinker with the value of kern.maxfilesperproc
while you're at it.  This limits the number of open files (or sockets)
that a single process can have.

- Giorgos